Teaching English Abroad

Many of our clients are teaching English abroad – they are teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).  China is the top destination at the moment. Here are some tips if you considering being an ESOL teacher :

First of all, almost all of the English schools abroad require you to commit for at least one year. If you have already spent a lot of time abroad then this should be no problem.  If not, you will definitely be facing some new challenges and it will take you some time to adapt so be prepared.  There are English
speaking expats everywhere so its easy to make friends – there will probably already be others teaching at your new school who can help you through your transition period.  The staff at your new school must be bi-lingual as well. However, the more you can speak the local language, the easier it will be for you.

There are several documents that you will need to provide in order to secure your position.  These include a resume, photos, copies of your College degree (s), reference letter(s), etc. You will need to provide details regarding your teaching experience.  Also, you will obviously need to have your passport ready. Once these documents are provided your school or local recruiter will work with you to obtain a visa and work permit.  You might find it more convenient to work with a visa processing company if the nearest embassy is far away.

Last but not least is international health insurance coverage.  U.S. health insurance plans do not cover you outside of the US for long periods of time so you will need an international health plan.  The local school may offer some limited coverage in your new country of residence but you would typically have to go to public hospitals and clinics which are usually crowded, not very high quality and not likely to have English speaking care-givers.  All international health plans are designed to cover you at any private hospital or clinic - they typically have doctors trained in the US. Also, local health insurance plans do not cover you back in the US – international health plans are designed to cover you worldwide AND back in the US as well !

Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.